Saturday, April 18, 2015

Studio Saturdays: How to Become a ‘I don’t get art’ person to a Collector

A phrase we often hear at Argyle Fine Art is " I don't know a lot about art" or "I don't get art, but I know what I like".  Turns out, you don't need to worry too much about  knowing too much ....the important thing is to just start  LOOKING and be open to new styles of work and ideas.Our friend Benjamin Boudreau shared a few words with us about how he became a collector!

STEP ONE: Don't be Afraid of ART
Oh man. I crossed this threshold and can’t turn back. Like, “Oh – I’m allowed to do this? If I want to buy art no one will stop me? OH OKAY.” That’s not to say I’m buying art every day because, you know, budgets...but I’m thinking about it all. the. time. Luckily, there are so many free ways to get my fix without emptying my bank account. I’m constantly reading art blogs, watching documentaries, visiting galleries, and inviting myself over to see other people’s collections. It’s a really fun and inspiring addiction.

STEP TWO: Find a Work of ART you love! Take it Home!
Definitely my piece by Angela Carlsen.I love the visuals, of course: the colours, the shine of the metal canvas, the contrast between real and augmented. But more than that, I love that I still have different reactions to it two years later. Whether it’s joy or nostalgia, it’s a piece that can mirror all kinds of emotions. It feels alive in that way.



STEP THREE: Where there's a will there's a way....


Real talk: I’m not the kind of person who happens to have hundreds of dollars set aside for art. Or anything, for that matter. Argyle Fine Art helped me buy my first piece with a monthly payment program so now I just put the same amount aside whenever I can so I can add to my collection when I find the right piece.

To be clear, art collecting isn’t just for the super rich though. Look around and you can find great pieces at any price point especially when you consider prints – which I’m more than happy to mix in with originals. 

SEE LOTS MORE WORKS BY ANGELA CARLSEN HERE or in person at Argyle Fine Art. Prices range from $95- $895