Sunday, July 5, 2020

SUNDAY STUDIO DAYS: Amber Solberg

Welcome once again to our Sunday Studio Days Series.  We hope everyone had a great week! Today we'll be featuring the creative workspace of gallery contributor Amber Solberg.

Amber is an illustrator, artist, craftsperson & instructor. Originally from Alberta, she now lives and works and creates art in Nova Scotia. She's evolved her practice to revolve around nature, conscious creation and storytelling. With watercolours, ink, and embroidery thread, she makes work that spans from the technical to the expressive, all with an underlying creativity...

Amber is an illustrator, artist, craftsperson, and instructor...

"I've always made the best of a small space growing up, so I shouldn't be surprised that's what my art and my studio space reflect. I work in a corner of my bedroom, and as you can see, have made extensive use of the wall for ideas!"

Inside the Artists' studio...

"...I like to put up reminders: of deadlines to meet, ideas to work out later, the work and images of the people in my life, or iconic packaging (a lot of candy wrappers find their way up to my home-made corkboard!). This year, I've also started putting up post-its to show what jobs are on the go and what's been completed--which has been really nice to look up and see during the tough days..."

Interior view of Amber's studio...

"...Since COVID put us in lockdown, I've been dredging out old sketchbooks. I've really fallen out of practice with it, and this time makes me feel I should get back into the habit. I've always enjoyed fine-tipped gel and blue ballpoint pens to sketch with, especially in museums and art galleries..."

Recent sketchbook drawings...

"...For a year in 2015, I journaled a trip around Europe through sketches and doodles, and I look back at that now as my most creative time. The reduction of materials available to you can really make you work outside of your comfort zone!"

Detail of studio interior; Lots of natural light to fuel Amber's creativity...

"...Currently, I'm working on a personal project I've had on my mind for a long time now: customizable children's books. I've done custom pet portraits and custom family illustrations before, but as someone who works and plays a lot with kids, I've read my fair share of children's books that are missing SOMETHING-whether it's in the storyline, the story pacing, the illustrations, or the message to convey..."

A natural storyteller, Amber keeps a journal to document her story ideas...


 "...I'm creating children's books that will be wholly unique because it is ABOUT them, and they'll be able to see that in the pages. I'm aiming to have two done by fall, so keep your eyes peeled!" - Amber Solberg

Amber's "Cursive Pins" series..available for purchase from the gallery!

You can see more of Amber's Cursive Pin collection HERE

For purchasing inquiries contact us at 902-425-9456 or via email at gallery@argylefa.com