Friday, March 8, 2019

International Women's Day Ask and Answer Part 2

In celebration of International Women's Day, we decided to offer you a peek into the lives of a couple of the women artists who we work with and represent here at Argyle Fine Art. In yesterday's post we introduced you to artists Isobel Hamilton and Sharon Cave (click here to read the interview if you missed it). Today, we'd like to share an interview between Kimberley Eddy and Jen Worden.

We hope you'll enjoy this opportunity to learn a little bit more abut these two inspiring women!

Kimberley Eddy, PS4, Ink, Resin, and Sand on Wood Panel


Jen: How do you handle the Life/Art balance?

Kimberley: This is definitely a question that would not be asked of a male artist! Art is my business and my passion, not a hobby and I am going to give it to you straight; balancing it all is tough sometimes. For me, structure and organization are key. I enjoy planning out and scheduling my days, and I specifically set up times for family and times for creating. When I don’t block off time for art, life has a way of filling in the blank spaces, and the art stays in my head; un-made. I do leave some room for flexibility. My studio is in my home, so I am able to create at a moments notice; when inspiration strikes. Most weeks though, I still find that I have more ideas than time. Every artful thought gets written or sketched out in my little journal, so it doesn’t get lost, and I refer to it often, and then plan out what I will create next. 

Kimberley Eddy in her studio

Jen:Which female artists have had an impact on your art practice?

Kimberley: The primary female artist who has had a huge impact on my work, is my mother, Nancy McDonald. When I was a child, I would watch as these amazing images would appear on the canvas, as if by magic…out of the air through her brush. She always encouraged my creativity, and still does. The first time I painted with her paints on a real canvas I was 12 years old. I was hooked.

There are, of course others, but I really must mention Mary Pratt here, as well.  Her ability to have captured the light and the translucency of jelly in glass jars absolutely transfixes me. I am moved to create the translucent nature of water in my work. I love those shifts in colour with the changes in depth, and somehow it partially relates back to seeing those jars of hers.

Kimberley Eddy, All Is Not Lost, 24"x12", Mixed Media on Board

Jen: What is your background- your life before art?

Kimberley: Many women have followed a circuitous route to becoming an artist. It’s a common story. What is unique though, is the path each of us have taken. In university, I really didn’t believe that I could have an art career as a viable future option. I ended up with two degrees, and teaching social studies in Bermuda, all the while, staring into the ocean and being creative on the side. After I had children, and moved back home to Nova Scotia, I worked in the creative field of interior design, whilst offering murals and custom art to my clients. When my husband was diagnosed with cancer, I found that I turned to my art more and more. It was my therapy; a break from the crisis. I would paint ocean water every chance I could, and I would feel at ease. Then, that happy day came, and he was cancer free. I knew I had to keep painting, and that it was no longer my therapy, but my passion.

Jen Worden, Those Were the Days 05, Plaster, Acrylic, Wax

Kimberley: What led you to your art and why do you create the multi-layered art that you create?

Jen: Art has always been a centering ...balancing... force for me. Without it, my everyday world tilts and the people in my life suffer. BIG time.
The second part? Gave me pause. And what I think it gets down to is my reflection of the Real World, y'know that whole Art imitating Life thing. Rarely is something as simple as it looks. There are always extenuating circumstances. Perspective is everything. As Shrek said, "Layers, Donkey." 


Jen Worden in her studio

Kimberley: Is there a woman in your past or present who has influenced your art in some way and how?

Jen: There are actually 3.
As a child, discovering Emily Carr was a revelation. Finding out you could be weird AND revered was life changing for me.

Bridgette Guerzon Mills [https://guerzonmills.com/] a contemporary encaustic artist who makes stunningly personal art while dealing with the daily routines of life ...chronic illness, children, family... with a professionalism I can only hope to emulate.

And last, but by no means least, Stephanie Lee [http://stephanieleeart.com/], artist, teacher, mentor, friend. Who introduced me to the delights of plaster and gesso and wax right along with asking big questions and allowing one's life blood to seep into the artwork.

Jen Worden, House up the Street, 16.5" x 14.5", Mixed Media

 Kimberley: Do you have any advice to other women considering a career in art?

Jen: First and foremost, it's okay to be an emerging artist at ANY age!
Secondly, decide if you want to make art for its own sake or for sales. They are most usually diametrically opposed.
And finally, read "Turning Pro" by Steven Pressfield. He asks ...and answers... all the best questions to help you move from amateur to professional.

Jen currently has a number of works on display in our current show "The Repurosers" which you can view online here.

We hope you enjoyed this mini interview series! Gaining some insight into the lives of the artists who create the amazing work we have here at the gallery can really add another layer of understanding and appreciation of the work. We hope next time you're by the gallery you'll consider not just the art in plain sight, but the stories that lie beneath the work as well.

Happy Weekend :)