Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Greenland- a whole new world filled with Possibilites and New Friendships

Well it's been quite a whirlwind trip to Greenland this past week! WOW. Still need time to reflect and write more about the experience at a later date, but I thought I'd share a few images from the vast amount of pictures I took to begin with.This is a picture I took from the helicopter of Qaqortoq- the small town we spent most of our time in. See it waaaaay down there?


This was an opportunity of a lifetime for Argyle Fine Art and a trip I plan on making again in the future on my own steam too! The trip wouldn't have even been possible without the help of Caitlin McGuire and my husband, Joe Mader and other artists looking out for the gallery while I was gone. Because of them, I had the confidence to accept an invitation from Kisserup International (eternally grateful) to travel to Greenland far away from my baby, my business,  to discover new artists, make new business partnerships and friendships as well as sharing my knowledge with others on the marketing of art and creative approaches to selling abroad while learning so much from all involved.


A group of us ventured out into the unknown, including a gallery artist, Dorothyanne Brown (shown below with Martha, one of the Greenlandic artists ), who also taught a workshop while we were in Greenland about needle felting.Most of the artists we met this trip were fibre artists, in addition to being sheep farmers. They were strong women, and funny and kind-hearted and very very talented.

Our mission was to begin talking about how to expose the country of Greenland and the artists and entrepreneurs that live there to the rest of the world, beginning with a likely partner- Canada. All things big start small. We were a mighty bunch!


I've got some ideas of how to begin working with Greenlandic artists. ..can you hear my brain humming? Ha! To be continued.......in the meantime, here's another breathtaking image from one morning there. If you have the chance to visit, take it! It's a whole new world which I already miss so much.Drop by the gallery soon- I'd love to tell you more about this amazing experience!